Monday, February 9, 2009

The Circle of Life = Motherhood

I began to think about all the wonderful women that I know who are embarking on the journey of motherhood… for some it will be a brand new experience and for others…they are seasoned veterans.

But the reality of it does not change. Being a mom is being all that you can possibly be at every possible minute. William Ross Wallace wrote "…For the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world…"

For some women motherhood comes naturally. It is something that they have progressed toward all their lives. For others, (like me) it will be a bit of a journey.

I never grew up playing with baby dolls and strollers. I had them and I enjoyed them but I wanted to play with the "fashion dolls" and their super cars and planes. I loved the fancy clothes and each and every career that was imagined for them.

As a young adult….marriage and motherhood were far from my thoughts…but God had a different plan…one that leaves me in amazement each and every day. I haven't had an uninterrupted shower since my daughters were born, quiet time in the bathroom is like a mini-vacation, my hands have aged decades due to all the dishes. I have changed diapers that number in the 1000's and I can recite each and every character on the Backyardigans, Dora the Explorer, Miss Spider and Spongebob (just to name a few).

Yes, this is not the jet-set life I imagined…but it is so much more and so much better than any "dream" I could have ever had.

Only a mom knows the expression and joy on a waking child's face when they see you first thing in the morning. Only a mom knows the pride she feels when she holds her child's hand and hears them say "Thank you" and "Please". It is my name they call out in the middle of the night or when they are scared or sick. It is a Mom that can keep the boogeyman away and the dreams alive.

Moms are not only the first teachers but the first doctors, the first pastors, the first "everything!" They are the ones that know their children from the very depths of their souls.

Each mom is different, each mother has her own ways…but it really does not matter if you are a "Green" mom or a "Fast-food" mom. What matters is that you are "Mom" and to your little ones you will be the World!

W.R. Wallace was right. Through our little ones we shape the world. We form the world for them and for those they encounter in life….what an incredible blessing and responsibility.

I am so glad God had a different plan for me and I look forward to the plan He has for each of my dear friends…

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written...thanks for the reminder of what an important job and task this is! Getting by daily just isn't enough!

    ReplyDelete