Saturday, January 3, 2009

A New Way to Look at Philippians

I am currently reading a book titled, "Loving your Husband". It is a bible study written by Cynthia Heald. I have a couple more weeks until our regular women's bible study begins at church so I thought I'd take some time and complete this study.

I know the basics of what this study is going to tell me. That God and only God can be perfect and fulfill my needs. But, even though I know that...it is interesting and challenging to learn more of the word and the intimate verses that remind me that only Jesus can be my everything. It is too much of a strain to expect a husband, (Even one as wonderful as mine), to be all that I need in life.....frankly, it's not fair for me to expect it.

So imagine the bump on my head as I began chapter 1. God obviously has a plan for me to learn something different and to see it in a much different light then what I was expecting. The study starts out with the story of the women at the well (John 4:7-30) and continues with different scripture...I was in an "uh-huh, ok..I've read this before" mentality when "BAMM!" Here came the 2x4!

Philippians 2:3-4
"Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better then yourself. Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing."


I have this passage underlined and highlighted in my bible. I have read it 100's of times. But today...it just popped. It was different...it was talking to me not just as Christian but as a wife. In my heart today it read something more like this...


"Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on Todd. Be humble, thinking of Todd as better then yourself. Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in his, too, and what he is doing."


I never really thought of myself as selfish when it comes to my husband or even really trying to impress him. Yet, I can't deny that more often then not...I am telling him of my thoughts rather then listening to his and yes, if I am being honest...I think very highly of what he thinks of me...

I don't know... but this verse really got me saying "mmmm???" today.

I'll let you know if I get any more head bumps as I finish this study.



See You in My Mailbox,
Christine
IE Mommy
(aka Mama Hawk)

1 comment: