Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why I Have Gray Hair

There are two comments that I always get about the twins:
1) They are beautiful
2) They are so smart!


What I never hear from people is the comment "They are so mischievous". Must be because family, friends and teachers don't really know them...or at least not as well as I do.

Go with me back in time....5 1/2 years ago when I had deep brown hair...not a gray one in site.

Then, "IT" happened. I had children. Oh, you might be laughing and thinking "She's crazy"...but I would swear and promise to you that I remember seeing my first gray hair very, very shortly after the twins turned one...which is also about the time I was able to take a shower! (Not really!)

If you have watched any I LOVE LUCY shows you might remember the episode where she was babysitting twins and they tied her up! They convinced tricked her into playing cowboys and indians and were actually going to light her on fire! Somedays, especially with babysitters, I think I am going to come home to that scenario.

What can I say...I am outnumbered. From the get go their minds have acted as one. Don't get me wrong, they are very different individuals but.....when they want to get into mischief....they are on the same road.

I know you don't believe me. I can see it in your eyes as you are reading this. "What? Oh no, not those sweet dear little girls." You are saying to yourself, aren't you?

Let me give you an example. A couple of days ago the twins were happily playing with their makeup kit that Santa bought them for Christmas. Very cute little kits that have a pretend blush, eyeshadow and mini lotions. For a day or two they are happy "gettting ready" for the day each morning alongside Mommy. Putting on fresh perfume for daddy when he got home...being the ever perfect little ladies. They were being so cute about it.

Now, fast forward to Wednesday....I am in the living room watching my TiVo'd show "The Bachelor" (So much more on that later!) when Skylar comes and sits by me. Now, when only twin comes into a room, alone...something is up!

Our conversation went something like this:

Mommy: Skylar where is Rylan?
Skylar: "She is making me a present".
Mommy: "Did you leave her alone with glue or scissors?"
Skylar: "No, mama."

Ok, so now, I don't know if I just spaced out but I DID NOT IMMEDIATELY GO UPSTAIRS TO CHECK!

When I did make it upstairs I was expecting paper and stickers to be everywhere. Boy, was I in for a surprise!

Rylan came running up to me, grinning from ear to ear, so very proud of herself!
"Look, Mommy...I made this for sister"

They had found two empty white boxes left over from Christmas and gleefully covered them with body lotion and eyeshadow. Sprinkled body glitter on every part (including the carpet and dresser). There were swirls of pinks, purples and blue make up on each present. The present was expertly doused with "all" of their mini body sprays and gels. It was colorful mess to say the least.

Rylan was so proud. I couldn't hide my shock and unfortunately my disappointment. Poor Rylan, she was heartbroken.

I pulled myself together and did the "good" mommy thing. 1) I didn't yell and 2) I told her how pretty they looked and gently explained how that is NOT what we do with our makeup.

Sadly, I had to take the makeup kits away. But to my surprise they were very good regarding the punishment. They picked up every make up item and empty bottle (lots of them) and brought them to me so the could be "safe" until they were a bit older.

I guess I am going to have to call Santa and give him a little "what-for" talking. I mean, what was that jolly old man thinking? "My" twins with makekup kits!!!

I know that I must have gained about 15 new gray hairs on that day! Never mind my blood pressure.

Oh well...I hear them waking up now so I'd better get off the computer and, ouch....dang it....I feel a few more hairs turning gray as I type.....oh, motherhood! Ain't it grand?

lol....

hawaii741

1 comment:

  1. That is funny! I think the same thing when one of my boys comes out without the other...it can only mean trouble!

    ReplyDelete