Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thorny Ground

Are you a thorn? Do you sometimes act like a thorn? Well, If I am to be honest then I have to admit that I am a thorn.

I chose to allow other things on Monday and Tuesday to crowd out my quiet time with the Lord. I wish I could say that it was an accident but in reality, it was my choice. I chose to make other things priority and before you know it my morning was gone. The children were awake, school needed to be done and bam, the day was over. No time for Jesus.

That really stinks! There isn't any other way to put it.

Today I sat down and my first thought and prayer was that I didn't want two days to turn into a week and then a month and so on. I was asking God to forgive me and help me to have the discipline that is required to spending with Him daily. I need it. I crave it.

I can feel my soul become dry (imagine a sponge without water) when I am not in the word. When I get in the word, I can feel the Holy Spirit sweep over me. I feel refreshed, redeemed and revitalized. It is not a "magic" moment...it is pure and simple...my soul longing for what only can be filled with Jesus Christ.

When I sat down to do my devotion the verse for today was:

Matthew 13:22
The thorny ground represents those who hear and accept the Good news, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the cares of this life and the lure of wealth, so no crop is produced.

I have never seen myself as a thorn but there it was clear as day and in black and white. It was exactly what I did on Monday and Tuesday.

In the past when I have seen this verse I have thought of people that long to be "rich & famous". You know people that are more concerned with a Louis Vuitton purses, the latest Botox or a fancy new Mercedes.

Not little ole' me.

I have never thought of the housewife who wakes up thinking of the chores that need to be done, or the errands, or (gasp) what to blog for the day!

I am guilty of waking up as if someone shot a starter pistol.

The gun shoots off and you jump out of bed, quickly you go potty, brush your teeth, take a shower, get dressed and start the laundry or the house cleaning....maybe you make breakfast for your husband and children...then you start working on the list of errands. Do you have a doctor's appointments this week, do we need to go the grocery store, etc. Before you realize it, it is lunch time and then dinner time and time for bed.

I never thought of the "care of this world" being the little cares a stay at home mom might have but guess what? They are!

Whatever it is that will take your eyes off the cross and your time away from God will be a "care of this world".

Look, I don't think that I am a thorn 24/7 but even if it is occasionally...well, what am I missing? What I am missing in learning about God, What am I missing in growing with Jesus? What am I missing in witnessing and being a light to this world?

A LOT!

I know how my daily life is different when I spend time with Jesus. I know His faithfulness when times are tough. I know that He is the one that I run to with life is good, sad, hard and happy.

No, I don't want to be a thorn (once in a while or ever). If you see yourself as a thorn too, take heart...God isn't done with us.

Philippians 1:6
"and I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns".
God will continue to form us in His image. Cutting off the dead branches, refining our hearts and creating us more and more to be like him.....We only have to allow Him the opportunity and
create the TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment